Thursday, February 28, 2008

isn't it ironic....don't ya think?

Sometimes I have to laugh at God's sense of humor and irony. The other night at Wired small group we were discussing the discipline of submission. The major idea was that God knows way better than we do and that submission to Him and His will is a question of trust- trusting that He is a Good King who knows and wants what is best for us. During this discussion, the issue of obeying your parents came up and I was able to draw the comparison between God having a greater perspective and not always choosing the easy way and the fact that as a teenager, even though you may think you know better, sometimes your parents have a bigger perspective and a good reason for making you do things "the hard way." Easy lesson to teach...harder one to learn.

Yesterday, as I was having a mini-freak out and feeling totally overwhelmed, inadequate, and humbled by med school, I found myself asking God why He would call me to go back to school and then make it so hard. (Sounding familiar to anyone??) That's when I realized that I wasn't trusting my Daddy, my heavenly Father, to know what was best for me. It was so easy for me to tell my Wired girls that God doesn't always do things the easiest way or the way that seems best to us but here I was asking Him the exact question they asked of their parents: "Why can't I do things my way? It seems so much easier and better." My oh my, how God challenges us to "walk the talk" and brings to light areas in our own life where we are not practicing what we are so quick to advise others to do.

Submission isn't easy and sometimes trusting God's plan isn't either. Though we know that He is a Good King and Father, we wonder why He brings us through the desert or even why He seems to be leaving us there. Yet it is my desire and hope that even in the times that I don't understand why God does what He does, I can say with Jesus: "God not my will, but Yours."

4 comments:

Janine said...

But don't you think having the dog lick the bowls is actually a better idea?

Very ironic Tara! I do love your crazy life (and your new page design) but how awesome that the desert produces in us perfection, completeness, that we would lack nothing to continue the path that God has for us. To accomplish the dream he in fact MADE you for! :) I love you! Good insights...Keep rejoicing!!!!

Katy said...

oh but it does sound all too familiar.... LOL

Andrea said...

First of all, LOVE the new layout and how if you scroll down to your last blog, it totally coordinates with your bag Jamie bought you :) Did you do that on purpose?

You know I guess my miscarriages relate to a lot of topics, especially this one. I still don't understand why I had to have five of them to get to Jadon, but none of that really matters now does it? His will is perfect. Just look at my baby boy's sweet face, next time you need to be reminded of that :)

Unknown said...

Hey Tara--Nice blogs. Thanks for sharing with folks, and I hope you make it a regular habit.