Monday, March 10, 2008

letting go

For the first time since the marathon, I had a really great run the other day. (by great i mean: 1. i actually ran and 2. it was actually fun). Thursday was a beautiful day and it was nice to get outside and just enjoy the weather. The funny thing is that I am usually so OCD about knowing how far I run that I don't even want to run if I'm not going to be able to know the distance (perhaps a consequence of training for races??) . But on Thursday I just got out and ran in the woods...who knows how far? It was nice to let go of that need for control and it really opened the door for God to teach me some things on my run.

In some ways, my run was a metaphor for life. There were periods of time when I was running hard, periods of time when I had to stop and look around for direction, and periods of time where I had to walk or even tiptoe due to rough terrain, mud, water, etc. I think sometimes that is the type of path God leads us on in life. We tend to think unless we are running full speed on smooth, flat ground, things aren't going the way they should be. But if I had stayed on the flat, even path I would have missed a huge portion of the beauty of God's creation and my run would have been completely monotonous.

What's the moral of my story or more importantly the point that I am rambling to get to? It feels awesome to let go, to not know where you are going or how you are going to get there, to know that the path in front of you is not always going to be the easy way....especially when you know the One who is actually in control.

1 comment:

Katy said...

wow! That is so awesome. I went running today for a little bit on a treadmill though. I think so many different things when I am running... I don't like to do it much but when I do God really speaks to me.

It was so nice getting to see you some last week! I miss you and Tiffany both so much!!! Call me anytime!

Love and Miss you!