Friday, April 18, 2008

oh canada!

So as the first act of my official spring break (after working all weekend), Jamie and I decided to take a somewhat spontaneous trip to Niagara Falls. We left at midnight on Sunday night and got back Wednesday. It was one of those much needed vacations that felt longer than it really was despite the fact that we got very little sleep. It was just nice for Jamie and I to get away together and get to spend time alone without me studying. I think we both needed the break. Here's a brief synopsis of our trip:

Like I said we left around midnight Sunday night after community and drove most of the night. I started getting really sleepy around 3:30am or so and was having a hard time staying awake to help Jamie stay awake driving so we decided to stop at the next rest stop (which we didn't get to until around 4:30am) and sleep for a couple hours. [Below is our "home away from home"]

Not the best sleep I've ever gotten by any means but it sufficed for the time being and around 6:30 or 7 we set off again toward Niagara. We ended up getting there around 8:00 or 8:30 to spend the first day of our trip on the Canadian side of the falls. First stop: Starbucks (WAY more expensive in Canada ;)) Next stop: The Falls.


It was a beautiful (but cold) morning but was so nice to just be outside enjoying God's beautiful creation. After a brief hour and a half nap, we spent the rest of the day walking around Niagara Falls and going to random tourist attractions like the wax museum (tons of fun! esp. since I kept making Jamie pose for a million pictures ;))


Guess I posed for a few myself too.....


One of the most hilarious parts of the day was me posing with a replica of the world's tallest man at the World Record museum. When I sat down in his chair, people actually stopped in the street, stared and laughed...ha


That night we went out to dinner and completed our meal with some Rickard's Red beer (had to have the beer that will be my future last name), but probably my favorite part of the day was seeing the falls all lit up at night....It was beautiful.

Day 2 of our adventure was spent on the New York side of the falls. We spent most of the day walking around Niagara Falls State Park and enjoying nature. We even found a group of islands called "Three Sisters Island" that I had to get a pic with because it reminded me of my sisters :).

After our time in the park we decided to check out the Niagara Falls Aquarium which should actually be known as "the most ghetto aquarium EVER"....We had fun though being silly and quickly realized we were the ONLY people in the aquarium who didn't have kids with them...ha....guess we are just kids at heart ;)


After the aquarium we started our journey back to Morgantown with a layover in Grove City for the night.

All in all, it was an awesome (though short) trip and reminded me not only of how much fun Jamie and I have together but how much I can't wait to marry him. It was also nice to be able to spend our time in the car asking each other questions and getting to know each other even better than we already do. We also started reading "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell in the car (meaning I read and Jamie listened). We are only on chapter 3 but already I have to say I highly recommend it. Chapter 2 (Yoke) is awesome...check it out!

Below are a few more random pics from the trip in case you are interested :)

2 comments:

Katy said...

you 2 are so cute together! :-) Glad you had a good spring break! I know how much it is needed sometimes... i need one right now. But I have 9 more days til summer so I think I can manage!

Hope you are doing well?!?!

Andrea said...

Hey, girl! The two of you look like you have so much fun together! I love reading your blog, and seeing your pics...helps me feel like I'm a little less than 10 hours away ;) As for your last post, just remember that fear keeps you ordinary. How amazing it must feel to be a part of something so big so far away? You're beautiful and your life is inspiring! Love you :)