Wednesday, August 12, 2009

luke 11:11-13

From my last post, some of you may have guessed that Jamie and I have been having some financial problems recently. Things have been really tight lately and long story short, we weren't sure if we were going to be able to pay our bills this month. We prayed about the situation and had to trust that God would provide or show us what was best (which was easier said than done for me since I tend to be a natural worrier).

Then, on Saturday afternoon, as I was cleaning up after the yard sale, I found an envelope on our kitchen counter that said "Luke 11:11-13" on the outside. For those of you who aren't familiar, those verses say:

"What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

The envelope was sealed so I asked Jamie if it was his or if he knew where it came from. When he said no, we opened the envelope and inside was $300! We don't know who gave us that money or how or why but I can't tell you how thankful I am for it. It is refreshing and awe-inspiring to experience this example of true community and the tangibility of Christ's love. I am thankful for a living example of some things God has been teaching me through these verses:

"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth." 1 John 3: 16-18

Most of all, I am thankful for a loving Father who knows just what we need and who cares for us even we we can't see past our circumstances.

No comments: