Sunday, August 21, 2011

1/3 life crisis

This morning I found myself in the midst of a full blown "1/3 life crisis" (that's what I'm calling the meltdown that happens between a quarter life crisis and a mid-life crisis).  I won't go into all the details, but the question it left me with was this: As Christians, how much grace do we have for lifestyles that don't look like our own?

Now I'm not talking about people living sinful lifestyles - grace vs. accountability in that situation is another topic for another day.  My question is how we look at and treat other Christians whose choices don't line up with our own decisions or expectations.  Choices like singleness vs. marriage, whether to have kids and how many to have, women working or staying at home, homeschooling vs. public school, etc (the list could go on and on).  Often we turn our own ideas of what life should be into a mandate for others.  We turn into the Pharisees.  We make up our own additions to God's commands and require that others live up to them.  We may not blatantly judge and disgrace others like the Pharisees did but in our own way we treat them differently enough to know they don't fit in with the "Christian expectation."

One of the most beautiful things about our Savior is how He could relate to people in every stage of life and make them feel special and loved.  I pray that I have the same grace for others, although I know that I am by no means perfect.   I just hope I'm never the impetus for someone else's "1/3 life crisis."

1 comment: