Monday, January 14, 2008

check it off the bucket list

Yesterday, I finished the Chevron Houston marathon! It has been a goal of mine to do a marathon before I turned 30 so I guess I am 4 years ahead of schedule ;) I finished in about 4 hours and 45 minutes, what most would consider a pretty mediocre marathon, but I was ecstatic just to cross the finish line. Many, many people finished ahead of me (including all my friends who were running) but God taught me a lot during my run about focusing on the race He has set out for ME instead of worrying about what He has planned for other people. I have always struggled with comparing myself to others, but God showed me (in a very practical, tangible way) that all He expects of me is to do my best with the abilities He has given me. He doesn't want me to be the best at everything, He just wants MY best. And sometimes that is a hard realization. It isn't easy to feel inferior to others because our pride wants us to feel like the best. The experience of going back to medical school taught me so much about not living up to others' expectations and instead following the path God has, but it is difficult to keep that perspective in day to day life sometimes. Easy to see God's hand in the big things but less so in questions like "why does that person have a talent that I don't?" "why is he/she a better runner/athlete than me?" "why doesn't she have to worry about her weight?".... And I know that these questions aren't the God's concerns, but mine . Instead, God wants me to have this focus:
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

4 comments:

Katy said...

Congratulations!!! I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to finish even! LOL! They would have been long gone when I was finished...

Jamie said...

I am so proud of you for finishing something that you set out to do...and extremely proud that you understand that GOD does have a race for YOU to run...and we all need a little help along the way to keep us on the right path as we run that race...even reading someones blog and help them feel better about accepting to do what GOD has planned for them to do....I LOVE YOU and am so proud of YOU!!!!!

Andrea said...

Tara, I love you! I'm so proud of you! My goal is to run a marathon sometime, anytime, before I die. I'm already 30, so I kinda had to give up on completing it this year, right? That and the fact that I was pregnant half of the year ;)

I love what you wrote about the experience and your lessons learned. I'm no different, constantly comparing myself to those around me: "Why don't I have a house yet? Will I EVER have a baby of my own? If so, WHEN, God, WHEN???" And now, of course, "When will I get motivated to lose this freakin' baby weight???" Oh the pressures of life! Thankful that you reminded me that God loves me so very much, whether I ever own a house, give birth to a biological child or lose the weight after a pregnancy. All He cares about is (1) that I be responsible with my finances, knowing all things are His anyway; (2) rely on Him to give me more children, recognizing I'm not in control of that either; and (3)make sure I not a glutton with food and I use my body to glorify Him...which, once I'm finally motivated to exercise, I will give all praise to Him for the ability to do so :) Prayers for motivation are appreciated ;) Congratulations again! Love you!
Andrea

Amy O said...

Tara you are so inspiring. I have not run since Midyear and hearing of your accomplishment...your AMAZING accomplishment...may be the inspiration I need to get back on that treadmill!! CONGRATS!!!